- 170g butter beans, drained
- 280g pearl barley, washed and drained
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1.5kg brisket or stewing steak, cubed
- 1.8kg maris piper potatoes, peeled
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 120C. Grease a heavy casserole dish with the oil, and place the beef in the middle of the dish. Position the beans, barley, and potatoes around the meat, then pour over boiling water to just cover everything. Season well with salt and pepper, leave on a shelf on the bottom of the oven, and allow to cook overnight.
- In the morning, check if there is enough water in the pot - there’s usually some, but if it’s looking dry, add a splash or two more. The dish will be ready by lunchtime... so just leave it bubbling away, low and slow is the name of the game! Serve with dumplings and veg of your choice.
Do you know your wine personality? If your answer is no, take our quiz to find out which wines to pick up next and build your box!Build my box