- 600g duck or chicken liver
- 250g pack of butter, diced and softened slightly
- 1 sliced garlic clove
- 2 shallots, finely sliced
- A splash of port
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 tsp black peppercorns
- 1 tbsp picked thyme leaves
- 100g butter
- First of all, remove any large sinews from the livers and discard. Gently fry the shallots and garlic in about 1⁄3 of your butter - this should only take 3 or 4 minutes to soften them. Add the liver, turn up the heat, and fry until golden all over. Add the port and boil it down quickly, before taking the pan off the heat and allowing it to cool.
- Season the livers well then add them, along with the remaining butter and tomato puree, to a food processor. Blitz until smooth, then pour into a serving dish. Bang the dish on your table a couple of times - this will help smooth out the surface - and then stick it in the fridge.
Do you know your wine personality? If your answer is no, take our quiz to find out which wines to pick up next and build your box!Build my box