- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- 150g mushrooms, quartered
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 chopped garlic clove
- 50g butter
- 2 tbsp flour
- 300ml milk
- 200ml chicken stock
- Pinch of nutmeg
- Pinch of white pepper
- Pinch of salt
- Small handful of parsley, chopped
- 500g ready-made shortcrust pastry
- 1 egg, beaten
- Preheat the oven to 200C. Fry the chicken in a little oil until white, then add the mushrooms and fry until the meat is golden. Remove from the pan and set aside, then chuck the onion and garlic in the same pan and fry for 3 minutes. Set aside with the chicken and mushrooms.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan and stir in the flour, cooking for 3 minutes to make a roux. Mix together the milk and stock, sprinkle in the nutmeg, pepper, and salt, and slowly add the mixture to the roux, whisking until smooth. Simmer gently for 5 minutes, stirring constantly, to thicken. Stir in the parsley, then the chicken and mushroom mix. Spoon into a pie dish and leave to cool.
- Roll out the pastry until it is about 5mm thick. Brush the edges of the pie dish with egg, lay the pastry on top, and trim the edges. Brush the top of the pie with more egg, make 3 slits in the pastry to let the steam escape, and cook in the oven for 25 minutes until golden on top.
Do you know your wine personality? If your answer is no, take our quiz to find out which wines to pick up next and build your box!Build my box