- 2 cans of chopped tomatoes
- 4 aubergines, cut lengthways approx. 5mm thick
- 85g grated Parmesan
- 20g torn basil leaves
- 1 beaten egg
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 2 crushed cloves of garlic
- 6 tbsp olive oil
- Preheat your oven to 200C. Gently saute your garlic in 4 tbsp of olive oil for about three minutes, before pouring in the tomatoes and tomato puree. Simmer for about ten minutes, stirring regularly.
- While you’re cooking the tomatoes, heat a griddle pan or turn on your grill. Brush the aubergines with olive oil, and season with salt and pepper. Griddle or grill the sliced aubergine for about 7 minutes, or until cooked through and well browned. You may have to do this in batches.
- When all your aubergine is cooked, put some in the bottom of an ovenproof dish - enough to cover the base. Spoon some sauce over the top of it, then sprinkle with parmesan and basil leaves. Repeat this process until all is used up, and then pour the egg over the top along with a little more parmesan. Bake for 20 minutes, until the top is golden and bubbling.
Do you know your wine personality? If your answer is no, take our quiz to find out which wines to pick up next and build your box!Build my box