- 1kg beetroot
- 450g carrots
- 8 shallots
- 2 roughly chopped garlic cloves
- 1 stick of celery, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tbsp caraway seeds
- Plenty of veg stock (enough to cover the veg and then some more)
- Salt and pepper
- Peel and roughly chop all of your veg. Toss them in a big saucepan, along with the bay leaf and caraway seeds. Cover with the stock, and bring up to a decent boil. Cover the pan, and let it simmer away for about an hour.
- Remove the bay leaf, then liquidise the soup with a blender. Pass the soup through a sieve if you want a smoother borsch, and serve hot with black bread and a dollop of soured cream.
Do you know your wine personality? If your answer is no, take our quiz to find out which wines to pick up next and build your box!Build my box