- 1.5 kg braising steak, thickly sliced
- 500g red onion
- 15g dried porcini or other dried wild mushrooms
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- 425ml port
- 250g halved chestnut or brown mushrooms
- Preheat the oven to 160C. Pat the beef dry with kitchen paper, and slice the onions. Pop the dried mushrooms in a big bowl, and cover with 600ml of boiling water. Leave to steep for 30 mins, then drain and reserve the stock.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a casserole dish, and brown the meat all over. Remove the meat, add some more oil, and do the same to the onions. Return the meat to the pan, sprinkle in the flour, and give it a good stir for 1 minute. Add the port, the mushroom stock, and the soaked mushrooms. Bring to the boil, cover with the lid, and stick in the oven for 1.5 hours.
- Taste and season the sauce, adding a little water if too thick. Chuck in the chopped chestnut mushrooms, and cook for another 10 minutes, then serve hot with mash or leafy greens. Nice!
2 hours 45 mins
Do you know your wine personality? If your answer is no, take our quiz to find out which wines to pick up next and build your box!Build my box