- 1 whole duck, about 1.8kg
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 3 tbsp honey
- 3 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 150ml sherry or rice wine
- Chinese pancakes, hoi sin, and shredded spring onion to serve
- Put 1.2 litres of water in a saucepan, and tip in all the ingredients for the syrup. Bring to the boil, then simmer for 20 minutes. Put the duck on a rack over a roasting tin, and ladle the syrup all over the duck, several times, until the skin is soaked. Leave the duck to dry, uncovered, overnight in the fridge.
- Heat your oven to 240C, and roast the duck for 15 minutes on a rack in a roasting tin. Reduce the heat to 180C, and roast for a further 1 hour and 10 minutes. Remove from the oven, and leave to rest for 10 minutes. When ready to serve, carve the duck into slices or shred between two forks, and enjoy with pancakes, hoi sin sauce, and spring onion.
Do you know your wine personality? If your answer is no, take our quiz to find out which wines to pick up next and build your box!Build my box