- 1 small turnip, cut into small cubes
- 150g butter
- 200g venison loin (you can use beef or lamb, too)
- 1 bunch of thyme
- 1 bunch of purple broccoli
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 200ml port
- 500ml chicken stock
- 250g blackberries or other berries
- Put the turnip in a saucepan and cover with water. Add 100g of butter, season well, and boil until tender. Drain, and crush with a fork. Meanwhile, season the meat well, and heat up a frying pan with the rest of the butter. Fry for 3-4 minutes, or until your liking. Allow to rest for 10 minutes.
- Make the sauce by heating the oil in a pan, and gently cooking the shallots until softened. Add the port, and allow it to reduce by half. Add the stock, and reduce again until you have thick, glossy consistency. Chuck in the berries, and cook for 2 minutes. Meanwhile, cook the broccoli in salted water for 2 minutes, then finish on a griddle pan until tender and slightly charred. Serve by slicing the venison, and serving the turnip and broccoli on the side. Drizzle with the sauce, and enjoy.
Do you know your wine personality? If your answer is no, take our quiz to find out which wines to pick up next and build your box!Build my box