- 85g cornflour
- 85g plain flour
- 2 tbsp ground
- Szechuan peppercorns
- 2 tsp black pepper
- Oil for frying
- 400g squid, cleaned and sliced into strips
- Finely chopped spring onion and green chilli
- Half a cucumber, finely diced
- 1 red chilli, chopped
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 2 tsp fish sauce
- 100ml rice wine vinegar or similar
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
- Before you get started on your squid, making your dipping sauce. To do this, simply mix all of the sauce ingredients in a bowl, and stir until the sugar has completely dissolved. Put to one side.
- Take a big mixing bowl, and combine the two flours with the two peppers, along with 2 tsp of sea salt. Set that aside, and line a baking tray with kitchen paper.
- Take a deep fryer, wok or saucepan, and heat about 7-8 cm of oil to a good frying temperature. Coat your squid in the flour mix, and fry in batches - it’ll take about two minutes to get them nice and golden all over. Remove the squid from the oil, and put onto the kitchen paper. Sprinkle with more sea salt, then serve with the dipping sauce and the spring onion and green pepper over the top. Yum!
Do you know your wine personality? If your answer is no, take our quiz to find out which wines to pick up next and build your box!Build my box